WOLLONGONG ART GALLERY IS ONE of the largest regional art museums in Australia, with a major collection of over 3,000 objects in four collection areas: Illawarra landscapes prior to 1935, contemporary Australian art, Aboriginal art from around Australia, and Asian art and objects. The gallery develops and presents a diverse program of over 20 exhibitions each year, including collection shows and contemporary exhibitions by local, national and international artists. The gallery also develops and delivers over 200 education and public programs each year. These provide multiple points of engagement and access to both exhibitions and the ideas that underscore them. The gallery has an external exhibition space around the building through multiple temporary panels, and provides other exhibition opportunities through the Community Access Gallery and facility hire of its multifunction space. Wollongong Art Gallery occupies the former city council administration building designed by Reginald J McGoffin in an austere, classical style. It was officially opened in 1956 and converted into a gallery in 1991. The floorplan of the building evokes the shape of a jewelled crown in commemoration of the coronation of Queen Elizabeth II.